Note: OGM Forum is no longer active. This is a static snapshot as of February 2022. You can browse the site to see posts, but the functional features of the site will not work. You can search or download a zip archive of the files from the site at github/OpenGlobalMind/forum.openglobalmind.com.

Matt’s Dream Space

@Gyuri tweeted recently about this…
flagging a linkedin comment … quoting from a transcript of OGM call #5 … in which @saiiam muses …
https://twitter.com/trailmarks/status/1286285419940851712?s=21
@Technoshaman inquires …
https://twitter.com/technoshaman/status/1323736059746918402?s=21

the LI thread, scroll to gyuri’s
comment:

1 Like

Dream:
“get things [articulated] that you need when you need them to make sense of the world, at the level that is required.
To comprehend what we are dealing with
when you need them.
how to make this conversation
continuous without it being synchronous”

What a beautiful dream!!! The system that I’m working on will be both laying some of the foundations for it to come true and also, for going beyond it by enabling:

collective self-reflection on who we are
and
collective will expressing where we want to go

1 Like

Finally, I found the fuller context of what Matt was talking about, at 1:14:49, here.

“What if there’s a day where, when I have a thought, and… you guys are all there in my consciousness, the world is there in my consciousness; [and] people who have already made sense of certain things that I’m attempting to make sense have become transparent to me. And then when I want to articulate those thoughts, there are vehicles for me to do that that are really really easy and so, things that you need when you need them to make sense of the world in a more intelligent way or at the level that’s required to comprehend what we’re dealing and comes into the frame when you need them. I’m wondering how this conversation can be continuous without it being synchronous.”

That’s an illuminating, tremendous rich epiphany of a possible future that many people working towards, including here in OGM. I have a small and a larger piece to contribute to it. The “small” piece has to do with making conversation continuous without it being synchronous. I addressed the how-to of it, first, in a workshop I gave about “intermedia synergy,” defined as follows:

Synergy brings together the depth of the printed medium, the interactivity of the computer medium, and the intimacy of face-to-face interactions. Intermedia synergy brings the computer users “out” of the virtual world and allows them to network face to face, to exchange services, goods, and ideas, and to make friends. Asynchronous transfer mode is a method for dynamic human communication via the Internet at any time and from any place with a computer.
(at the Electronic Networking Association’s annual conference, Philadelphia, 1988)

Of course, the tools supporting intermedia synergy changed a lot in the last 32 years, but its fundamental principles and practices that I outlined there haven’t changed much.

The second aspect of what SymmaSys could contribute to Matt’s “dream space” is about expanding the subject of sensemaking from me to we to all of us. What if not only an individual but, let’s say, OGM wants to articulate a response to an emergent challenge that other groups have already dealt with and could find a vehicle (e.g. pattern-language-based knowledge ecosystem)? What if we could make sense of the world in a more intelligent way and at the level that’s required to comprehend what we’re dealing with? That’s why the design of SymmaSys, that we will discuss here, will be optimized for enabling mutual learning among people, organizations/communities, and social systems.

2 Likes

CodiMD was new to me. It’s here

1 Like

indeed, it was on the cicolab flow show of September 7th!!
and i have corrected the transcript
@Gyuri

1 Like