YouTube culture – and thoughtful, well-organized, well-spoken experts – have given us amazing educational resources. This forum topic will focus on the fundamentals of music theory, which can be – has been – a thorny, difficult subject to approach.
But really, it’s fun!
Here are a couple very good “Music Theory 101” suggestions, each running ~30 minutes.
- Learn music theory in half an hour. (Andrew Huang)
- Music Theory in 16 Minutes (Guy Michelmore)
- Music Theory Everyone SHOULD KNOW | Chords, Progressions and Keys (Rick Beato)
And Music Theory 201 suggestions:
- Musician Explains One Concept in 5 Levels of Difficulty (Jacob Collier, Herbie Hancock, et al., WIRED)
- What is a chord? (Adam Neely)
- Music Theory and White Supremacy (Adam Neely)
- Why you should learn music theory (Prescriptivism vs Descriptivism) (Adam Neely)