Note: OGM Forum is no longer active. This is a static snapshot as of February 2022. You can browse the site to see posts, but the functional features of the site will not work. You can search or download a zip archive of the files from the site at github/OpenGlobalMind/forum.openglobalmind.com.

Leading from the Emerging Future

There are some voices in the systems thinking world that have the power of narrative, better than I could ever express myself. In this amazingly connected world, we can find and access best available content. These snippets below express what I have come to think of the challenges ahead, but also of the exciting possibilities.

# U.Lab: Transforming Business, Society, and Self

Defining reality … it is what it is;
Ego to Eco

# Turning Toward Our Blind Spot:
Seeing the Shadow as a Source for Transformation

It is a process, one step at a time. The core argument Scharmer is making is basically putting into action what Donella Meadows argues in Leverage Points:

The power to transcend paradigms.

The highest leverage of all is to keep oneself unattached in the arena of paradigms, to realize that NO paradigm is “true,” that even the one that sweetly shapes one’s comfortable worldview is a tremendously limited understanding of an immense and amazing universe.

It is to “get” at a gut level the paradigm that there are paradigms, and to see that that itself is a paradigm, and to regard that whole realization as devastatingly funny. It is to let go into Not Knowing.

People who cling to paradigms (just about all of us) take one look at the spacious possibility that everything we think is guaranteed to be nonsense and pedal rapidly in the opposite direction. Surely there is no power, no control, not even a reason for being, much less acting, in the experience that there is no certainty in any worldview. But everyone who has managed to entertain that idea, for a moment or for a lifetime, has found it a basis for radical empowerment. If no paradigm is right, you can choose one that will help achieve your purpose. If you have no idea where to get a purpose, you can listen to the universe (or put in the name of your favorite deity here) and do his, her, its will, which is a lot better informed than your will.

It is in the space of mastery over paradigms that people throw off addictions, live in constant joy, bring down empires, get locked up or burned at the stake or crucified or shot, and have impacts that last for millennia.

2 Likes

Pesky things those paradigms!

1 Like

Yeah I agree paradigms are just stories. Getting free of addictions means realizing stories are just made up, including grand frames of the way you think. Byron katie and thework,com is good for prying you, or me, loose from our stories. Hari Seldon is not the way forward.

1 Like

Leading from the Emerging Future

I love the title of Scharmer’s book. (Disclosure: I was a member of the community, to which Otto turned for advice regarding the title of his forthcoming book that he shared with us in advance.) Some people don’t make much sense out of it and take it for just a nice flowery metaphor. Others are intrigued enough by it to reflect on what the phrase “leading from the emergent future” really means.

I belong to that second group. Whatever the “official” meaning of the book title is, here’s my rumination about it. Leadership is not a role but a capacity we all have, namely, the capacity to translate vision into reality. Yes, but how can we lead from something that is not here? Exactly, thank you for asking!

The future worth investing our lives in is already present, at least as potential. It exists in our best dreams, in the highest aspirations of our people, communities and organizations. That future will emerge from its latent, enfolded version when enough of us will exercise their leadership capacity and come together in co-creative and prefigurative communities and movements. It’s only from our collective intelligence, systemic wisdom, collective will, and social creativity that the desired future can emerge.