Note: OGM Forum is no longer active. This is a static snapshot as of February 2022. You can browse the site to see posts, but the functional features of the site will not work. You can search or download a zip archive of the files from the site at github/OpenGlobalMind/forum.openglobalmind.com.

Need to Weave the Stories Together

Need: A technique to weave stories together so like causal loop diagrams can be verified. Suggestion: Data Flow Diagrams. (Causalities from CLD’s map directly to Inputs on DFD’s)

1 Like

Tony, if we build a data flow diagram what do we do with the influences that are relevant though don’t actually represent flows?

Gene: I have significant experience as a Technical Writer. The questions that Technical Writer asks are “Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why”.

If you notice on my Powerpoint (at www.tonymar1556.wix.com/mysite) that I modify the Candy Store DFD’s from what is traditionally shown to include the Actor (the “Who”). In work projects, I often also edited in the “How” with a minor tweak. Standard DFDs, via their input/activity/output format, give the What, When, and Why.

That, in my experience, has always cover all the bases. Are you aware of other influences?

Looks like that gets it!

Tony and Gene, I agree that DFDs can be extended to include environment and actor descriptions and interactions. They are a simple way to represent human-machine systems. No special tools needed (circles, arrows, and lines are enough).

And since all systems are embedded systems we can just add whatever descriptive information we care to. Maybe as annotations to systems boundaries. (just thinking off the top here)

Gene:

I tried responding to your question about the Moments video by responding to your email. It is bouncing back to me as not sendable.

See below for my response:

The question you pose towards the end of the Moments video is “What is the [overriding] problem?”

I can not figure out what the overriding aim for the underlying system (i.e., the underlying state of affairs or basis) is in the example? Can you tell me such?

They haven’t implemented the email response on OGM as of yet.

The fundamental problem is acting without thinking about the implications of my actions before I take them… It comes in many forms and we’re almost all guilty as charged!

Bill:

DFD’s can be used for completely manual systems (no machines at all). For an example, see Carol’s Candy Store on the Powerpoint available at www.tonymar1556@wix.com/mysite The point is important as I am sure many OGM folks deal with systems that do not involve machines/computers

1 Like