Note: OGM Forum is no longer active. This is a static snapshot as of February 2022. You can browse the site to see posts, but the functional features of the site will not work. You can search or download a zip archive of the files from the site at github/OpenGlobalMind/forum.openglobalmind.com.

The Two Types of Stories

Per the Meriram Webster dictionary, the first listed definition of a Story is “an account of incidents or events”. Incidents/events are described in terms of who, what, when, where, how and why. This type of a story is told in activity (i.e., event) centric systems thinking models such as Data Flow Diagrams.

The second listed definition in the dictionary is “a fictional narrative shorter than a novel”. This relates to Story Archtypes. We develop such a story to help with walkthroughs of non-event oriented models such as Causal Loop Diagrams.

My take: It may be needed to create a fictional narrative to help a reviewers to engage in the walkthrough of a Causal Loop Diagram, but the underlying system of who, what, when, where, how and why is key to creating the CLD in the first place.

Thanks for this post. It triggered the following free-association: I was watching the last Harry Potter film recently in which is killed and ends up in some kind of transition state. Harry asks “Is this real, or is it all in my mind?” My immediate response was “Yes.” Followed by “Is this a real question?”

The relationships among stories I tell and what I am trying to accomplish are always worth some reflection.

seems as good a place as any to drop this in …

“ Instead of celebrating a false Thanksgiving narrative, listen to and share the countless Native American stories that aren’t being told”

see also:

#Repost
11-26-20
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

First ever Land Acknowledgement and Wampanoag Language blessing on NBC during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 2020

In collaboration with Indigenous Direction, the 2020 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade will feature a land acknowledgement, traditional rattle song, and blessing to honor the Wampanoag and Lenape people. This broadcast will take place on Thursday, November 26th at 9:00am in all time zones around the globe. Ryan Opalanietet Pierce (Lenape) and Joan Henry (Tsalagi/'Nde/Arawaka) will acknowledge the Lenape territory of Manahatta where the parade takes place annually. Mashpee Wampanoag tribal members and language keepers Annawon and Brian Weeden will provide an honoring in Wôpanâôt8âôk (Wampanoag language). This opening will be accompanied by Indigenous Ambassadors living in the Northeast region including: Tanis Parenteau (Métis), John Scott Richardson (Haliwa-saponi/Tuscarora), Urie Ridgeway (Lenape), and music by Ty Defoe (Oneida/Ojibwe).

The Wampanoag Tribe, also known as The People of the First Light, have inhabited the Eastern coast of present-day Massachusetts for more than 12,000 years. In the centuries following first contact with colonizing settlers, forced assimilation silenced the Wampanoag language for over 150 years. However, through historical written documents by Wampanoag people, language and culture are again thriving today on this Indigenous land.

The Wampanoag blessing, which was written and shared with us by Siobhan Brown of the Wampanoag Language Reclamation Project, (WLRP.org) will air exclusively in the Wampanoag language, but translates in English to the following: “Creator and Ancestors, we honor you for all things. We honor the Lenape people of Manahatta. We honor all our relations because, long ago, we were here. Now we are here and we will always be here. And so it is.”

Indigenous Direction co-founders Larissa FastHorse (Sicangu Lakota) and Ty Defoe (Oneida and Ojibwe) are committed to cultural protocols and ways of looking at the world that have existed on this continent for centuries.